Early Care & Education Recognition
Florida’s Healthy Environments for Reducing Obesity (HEROs) ECE Recognition is a voluntary recognition program. It is open to all early care and education programs that are licensed by the Florida Department of Children and Families. Florida’s HEROs best practices come from the second edition of Preventing Childhood Obesity in Early Care and Education Program, which is the most recent set of national standards describing evidence-based best practices in nutrition, physical activity, and screen time for early care and education programs.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to attach supporting documents as applicable (please refer to the Benchmark Areas beginning on page six). Based on the level of recognition your program aims to achieve, training certificates dated within the last 12 months are required for the director and, if applicable, lead teachers.
We applaud you for taking this significant step towards formal recognition for implementing quality standards that support the healthy growth and development of the children you serve! Your staff plays an important role in this process, so we encourage you to engage teacher and staff members who are familiar with day-to-day practices to help complete the application. This is also a great opportunity to engage parents and families to achieve sustainable healthy living practices for children.
- Signed Affidavit
- Completed Program Information Form
- Completed Application
Required Supporting Documents:
- Professional Development: Director and staff training certificates
- Family Engagement: Pictures of events, sign-in sheets, or handouts
- Child Care Environment: Photos or policy documents
- Staff Practices: Photos or policy documents
- Child Care Policies: Proof of written policy, such as a Curriculum Guide, Student or Teacher Handbook, Parent Handbook, or Policy Handbook, that has been implemented at least three-months prior to application submission
At this time there is no option to save application progress, so application must be completed in one session. We also ask that you only attach screenshots or specific pages of polices or you may experience difficulty submitting your application. If you need assistance along the way, please contact us at:
*Please note that incentives are subject to change without notice